Monday 8 September 2014

A new beginning: PhD

I have started a PhD.

Starting a new job, in a new city, new apartment, new flatmates, new department, office, colleagues… Almost everything in my life suddenly changed and changed quite drastically.

This is the sort of change that brings chaos, along with new challenges.

In an attempt to deal with this change and protect certain important aspects of my life I started planning and organising (how I love organising!) ahead of time in an attempt to mitigate some of the unavoidable uncertainty that comes with such a Big Move. I'm organising everything, from my belongings, through computers, to streamlining the way I work and keep track of projects and tasks.

I'm curious to see how it will all work out and whether systems established ahead of the time will actually work out. How much have I managed to predict? How right (or wrong) was I about the type of life I will lead during my PhD?

Who knows, maybe I will find that the steps I undertook made my life a thousand times easier. But then again, maybe after a month or two I will throw my hands in the air and start from scratch.


Time will show.

No comments:

Post a Comment